Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Cookin' Cookies

Tuesday eats...

I ended up making this morning quite stressful by lazing in bed for a few extra minutes.  I've recently taken to waking up at 5:30AM and then not being able to get back to sleep until about 6:50AM, 10 minutes before our girls come bouncing in the room to wake us up so it has been EXTREMELY hard to get out of bed.  I know most of you are probably rolling your eyes because the loss of an hour of sleep is hardly something to complain about, but it is the loss of THAT particular hour of sleep and then falling back asleep right before it's time to wake up that is so annoyingly difficult.  Will has decided I should just start getting up at 5:30.  I feel like making a sarcastic comment about that but the truth is he has a point.

Breakfast was 2 eggs with salsa and 2 slices of turkey bacon.


I spent this morning working both of my jobs.  The stay-at-home mom part consisted mostly of getting food for Charlotte.  The child must be growing because between breakfast (a bowl of cereal and turkey bacon) and lunch (a large bowl of vegetable soup) she had an extra bowl of cereal and turkey bacon, 2 containers of seaweed, half an apple, an orange, a banana and a cheese stick.  She makes me jealous.

Oh, and during the morning this happened:

Well Crap

Yeesh.  As if it wasn't bad enough that I dropped it in the toilet 2 weeks ago.  It still works, but eventually a chunk of the screen is going to fall out and there's no going back from that.  

My lunch, for simplicity's sake, was a highly attractive bowl of Amy's black bean vegetable soup and an orange that looked pretty typical.



I admit, I had quite a few snacks this afternoon, including meatballs, a chicken leg and lemonade...


...and a serving of noodle-bread which I shared with a lamb wearing half a felted wool mango for a hat.
She ate most of it.

Charlotte, like her mama, believes in richly-seasoned dishes and makes heavy use of her spice shelf.



Since school let out 2 hours early today we had plenty of time in the afternoon with Emily.  The first order of business was making "Giant Breakfast Cookies" from Heavenly Homemaker.  I was shocked at how well my children #1 restrained themselves from diving into the dough #2 shared the responsibilities without fighting and #3 avoided grabbing at everything on the counter that was within reach once they were standing on the stool.


My cookies didn't end up looking quite as nice as the cookies in Laura's picture.

Totally looks like a Pinterest fail
 They definitely could've used some extra flour and some time in the fridge before cooking.  They tasted yummy though.  The buttermilk makes them lighter, more crispy-cakey which isn't my favorite cookie consistency (I like them chewy and DENSE) but they worked.  The girls had them as a snack with some kombucha.  This batch turned out REALLY well and the girls chugged it and asked for more.  It was peach ginger, which I think is the only kind I'm going to make from now on because it fizzes up and tastes delicious so reliably.

Our next gallon of kommmmmmbucha fermenting, small jars in their second fermentation and the filtered final product.  
Then the girls did something that is starting to happen more and more often and I LOVE it.  They went off and played by themselves for a significant chunk of time, which gave me the chance to enjoy my cookie while sitting down and drinking tea like a civilized person and not in bites between handling one disaster or another.  I did periodically sneak out to take pictures of the cuteness though.
The dandelion problem that draws yard chemical salespeople to my door like flies
Cookies are an acceptable snack if you have them in the afternoon with tea.
Even though we ate at Café Rio this weekend my craving for Mexican-style food was not yet slaked so I made taco salad for dinner tonight.


My tumbly was still a little rumbly after my salad, so I finished Charlotte's leftovers.


My dessert was 2 more cookies.  I was proud of myself that I didn't eat half the batter before making them or half the cookies themselves as soon as they came out of the oven.


I did have a glass of wine in the evening.  What?  I said I wouldn't have beer tonight, I said nothing about wine!




2 comments:

Sonja Hoyt: The Happy Travel Bug said...

Love your food pics, but REALLY love the Mommy stuff! My kids are teenagers and I miss those stay at home moments. TFS!

Anonymous said...

Your little girls are the cutest things! I had to laugh at the photos of her and her "friends" meals! Too adorable!