Thursday, May 21, 2009

Need a web designer? I suggest you ask someone else

Yesterday was pretty awesome. And it was made all the more so by the fact that I expected it to suck.

I dropped Emily off with Grammy, then headed to my endocrinologist's office. I'd called the office several times over the past 2 weeks, trying to tell her I was pregnant and needed to get my thyroid levels tested. It's incredibly important to have your thyroid levels under control for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy because the baby's thyroid doesn't start working until about 12 weeks. So I was getting pretty nervous and angry as the weeks passed. I decided to go into the office in person and put the smackdown on the receptionists (who are annoyingly protective of the doctors...I KNOW they're busy, but I am a patient and I haven't heard back in 2 weeks! I'm not getting any less pregnant!) I was a bit nervous because I hate confrontations, but morning sickness decided to hit me harder than it ever has so far yesterday, so I figured I could draw on my sick pregnant lady anger to get me through. They assured me they'd have a lab slip ready for me tomorrow. "I WILL be back tomorrow!" I threatened.

Then as I drove away the nurse called and said she had mailed me a lab slip on Monday. Good then. Thanks for letting me know jerks.

Next on the agenda was going to the lab where I used to work. They had contacted me because they need some website updates. How hilarious is that? *I* know more than anyone there about web design. ME. Who knows next to nothing. Oh well, I figured I'd give it a shot, although I fully expected it to be a waste of time because I don't remember the passwords or even how to use Frontpage in the first place.

Well amazingly enough, I was able to install Frontpage, remember where all the website files were, and update everything they needed me to. I kept expecting to hit a brick wall and not be able to fix things, or worse still break the website, but it all worked. My boss also offered again to make me lab director, and took me out to lunch. My morning sickness let up just long enough for me to scarf down an awesome cheeseburger and fruit.

So I was paid WAY more for 2.5 hours of work than I ever earned for a whole day's work there as a chemist, I got to visit with all my old coworkers, and my old boss took me out to lunch, which she had never done before. This consultant thing is definitely the way to go. Too bad I don't actually know what I'm doing, and even if I did I would be in competition with part of Will's company, so probably no future there :-)

Then I went to my parents house to pick up Emily and had dinner there. The morning sickness definitely came back when they started cooking the tuna. I seem to be doing better today though.

So I feel good for having earned some money, and quite amused that I earned it through working on a website. Sure my yard is un-mowed and the dishes languished in the sink for far too long, but hey, I got paid! For the first time in 2 years! Yay!

No comments: