Friday, March 2, 2012

BRAT diet

Hey there, it's been awhile!  I have been gone partially because I've been busy and super-tired, and partially because I was in a disorganized phase.  When I let blogging slip I tend to let everything else slip too, and unfortunately my eating was one of the things I am not proud of this week.

The trouble started on Tuesday.  I did just fine, took pictures of all of my food, but I felt really greedy at dinner.  I blew through my serving, then rationalized that I could have another serving because it was pretty low-cal (I made this with very little rice).  Then I ate several more bites while I was putting it away, but was able to stop the madness before all was lost for the evening.  I had blogged earlier in the day already so I figured I'd just double catch-up the next day.

Then Wednesday stress got the better of me.  I was fine until I made Maryea's Banana Peanut Butter Crunchies.  I thought they'd be a nice treat to welcome Will home when we picked him up at the airport, and they are completely free of any sweeteners except fruit so I thought I was ok around them.  I also thought it would be a good idea to break up the driving so I took the girls to Great Harvest to use my second Eversave coupon, then over to visit my sister-in-law and her new puppy, then we arrived at the airport in time to run around a bit before Daddy got there (vs. driving straight to the airport and back which would have the girls in the car for over 2 hours straight).  Well it sounded like a good idea, but add in thick fog, driving rain, constant requests for potty breaks on major highways and the fact that my children are crazy and I was STRESSED.  I ate about 6 of those peanut butter suckers, then continued to eat other treats when I got home.

I was back on the wagon Thursday until I got too hungry for lunch and then the old voice in the back of my head started saying "You've done so well...you deserve a good 24 hours off your diet.  Have a couple more treats!"  That continued throughout the night of course with me snacking on a chocolate bar, having a beer, and eating a Nana's Nos cookie all by myself (it's actually more like 3 servings!).

I was feeling depressed about my eating this morning and worried about how tough it would be to detox and get this naughtiness out of my system over the next couple days.  Then something fortuitous happened (I can say that now because I am  on the mend).  I got a stomach bug!

It wasn't really fortuitous.  I spent half a miserable day alternatively curled up on the couch being jumped on by girls and running to the bathroom where I was pushed aside by one girl so she could watch more effectively and asked repeatedly by the other "Why you goin' BLEEEEECH in the potty, Mommy?".  Being sick when you have kids SUCKS.

Luckily I started to feel less nauseous by the afternoon and now I'm left with just infrequent waves of burning lower stomach cramps and a weak, washed-out feeling.  It sounds unpleasant but I'm able to eat again and go hours without visiting the lavatory so I am counting myself lucky that it passed so quickly.

Psychologically I feel like it has evened out my poor eating control for the past 2 days and it has helped me detox (my digestive system should be squeaky clean by now).  I'm hoping this was just a small bump in the road and I can continue along my weight loss journey for awhile longer now without having to fight cravings too much.

The worst part is that I was so good the entire time I was on vacation, then I lost it when I got home.  I blame the excessive alcohol consumption.  I spoke too soon about not having any ill effects from all the drinking!

It doesn't count because it didn't "stay with me" for long, but here is my breakfast for today:
Nature's Path juice-sweetened millet rice flakes, juice-sweetened dried cranberries, 2 pecans, skim milk + a scrambled egg with salsa
After that, I didn't eat anything until around 1PM, when I cautiously sipped some tea and tried some Suzie's Whole Grain Thin Cakes, which the girls were busy crushing and scattering all over the house while I was laying on the couch.

Those were ok and I was feeling like I was ready for a bit of protein (a very little bit) so I had some chicken broth...


...followed up with some applesauce and a banana to round out the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce and tea) diet that is supposed to be good for people with upset tummies.

I was feeling well enough for some cinnamon

Now that I just looked it up, I realize that BRAT actually stands for bananas, rice, applesauce and toast, not tea.  I guess I took some liberties, but that was probably for the best since the only bread we have is a hefty loaf of Great Harvest High 5 Fiber...not so gentle on the stomach.

My project for the day was making dinner.  I was determined to serve pizza because #1 I figured I'd be ok to eat it by dinnertime and when I was not feeling nauseous I was wanting pizza and #2 I didn't want to have to eat out again after having done so many times in the past week due to various people traveling.  I moved slowly, but got it put together by the time my savior husband arrived home and I was, indeed recovered enough to cautiously enjoy a slice.
Easy now
Buoyed by my success, I had another.

And now as I sip the peppermint tea Will brought me before he went up to bathe the girls, I am feeling almost normal again.

That's one way to get your eating back on track.

No comments: