Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Still Hangin' in Hawaii

Well, my last post was pretty depressing, so I'll try to be more positive now!

Sunday we went back to the commissary for weekly groceries, then to the farmer's market where I bought a ton of fruit that I thought I could space out over the remaining days I have here, but it has all stubbornly refused to ripen so between now and Thursday I have to eat a 2.5 pound mango, a bunch of ladyfinger bananas, a large papaya, an asian pear, an apple, and 3 rambutans (which are like lychees but covered in soft red spines). I am thinking a Thursday afternoon desperation smoothie may be in order. Anyway, later on Sunday Caitlin and I hiked up a mountain out by Dillingham airfield, and it was really pretty and good exercise. There were great views along the way, lots of friendly pot-smoking mountain bikers along the trail, and it was a good workout. Afterward we got shave ice and a coconut, and I couldn't help myself, I bought two guavas. I am going to end up in a fruit coma.

Yesterday Caitlin and I spent all day at the Ko 'Olina spa. It was very nice...we first jogged along the beach, then used the weight room, then hung out at the spa for awhile. I personally am not a fan of saunas or steamrooms, I find it difficult to breathe in them, but the other facilities were nice and I enjoyed my super-facial (I'd never had a facial before that included a back massage and arm/hand foot/leg treatments, but I wasn't complaining) although I got a couple of zits that evening...hmmmm.

Today was my first day all on my own, as Caitlin is starting her job at Maui Divers. I had my helicopter ride today which was one of THE coolest things ever. A plane is such a utilitarian way to fly. Always in a straight line, getting to your destination as quickly as possible. Flying in a helicopter is like you fly in your dreams (if you've ever had a dream that you could fly). You can hover, pause to look at things, skim the ground, it was just so neat. When we flew over the area where they filmed the helicopter scene (and others) in Jurrasic park, they played the music from the movie over the headsets we had to wear and it was very surreal. After my flight I made a stop at Lush to pick up my sister's order (whenever I go somewhere she scurries to the computer to figure out if I'll be near a Lush store) and then went home. I was lucky I did, because I narrowly escaped being caught in one of the worst traffic jams in Oahu history, if not THE worst. Some army guy was towing a crane behind him on H1 and it was too tall to fit under the overpass so he smashed into it. It compromised the structural integrity of the bridge, so they had to shut down H1 for the rest of the day. If you've never been here before, H1 is the freeway, the biggest road on the island, and one of the only ways to get from Honolulu to the west. Poor Caitlin on her first day of work had to drive all the way up and over the top of the island on a 1-lane highway to get home, along with everyone else who was in Honolulu at the time, and she didn't get home until 9:30! I saw the crane and was in the slow traffic going by but thank goodness they hadn't closed the road yet.

I think I'll avoid Honolulu tomorrow....

No comments: