Thursday, February 28, 2008

Poor Krista

My middle sister, Krista, is a senior in college down at Mary Washington in Virginia. Last night, my mom went down to see her dance in one of her little mini-recitals. Krista wasn't feeling all that well, but she made it through her recital. Afterward, her stomach kept hurting her worse and worse, and in the middle of the night Mom took her to the hospital.

It turns out, she had an inflamed appendix and is in surgery as we speak having it removed. Luckily, they seem to have caught it early so there shouldn't be any issues with it bursting. When Mom called, I could tell something was wrong because her voice was very low like it is when she's been crying. She said "Krista is in the OR" and I about passed out. Since she's in college I immediately assumed she had been in a car accident or worse, but luckily it's a fairly run-of-the-mill laproscopic surgery and she should be discharged from the hospital tomorrow.

The problem is, tomorrow is her last day of school before spring break. She's missing a midterm, and the worst part is she is supposed to leave bright and early Saturday morning to go on a Caribbean cruise with her friends. The doctor said it might still be possible, we'll have to wait and see how she does in recovery, but even if she ends up going, if anything happens she'll be at the mercy of third-world medical systems. Even if she does fine, she won't be able to swim or snorkel with a surgical wound on her stomach.

I feel so terrible for her...she's been looking forward to this for ages :*( I also feel useless, because with a recently-recovered baby, I can't really make the 2.5-hour drive down to the hospital. If all goes as planned, Mom and Dad will be bringing her home (as in up to Frederick) tomorrow, and I can be of assistance then. In the meantime though, I'm just sitting by the phone, wringing my hands and waiting for an update and thinking that she's lucky it wasn't worse but boy is this bad timing for the poor girl :-(

No comments: