Friday, February 27, 2009

Talking we've got down...but we must've missed the lesson on sharing

Oh, and by the way, I apologize for the funky header...I messed with it for a bit but then lost interest. I might eventually fix it if I don't have anything else to do :-)

On the Emily front, Emily is using sentences more and more now. For example, as I was lifting her into the cart at Giant today, she said "Barf, Mommy". I didn't even realize she knew the word "barf", but when I looked at my shoulder, she had indeed barfed on mommy. Quite a blast from the past...I don't think I've gone to the grocery store with baby vomit on my shirt for months at least!

Now that she's doing so well with the talking, I think we need to focus on the sharing. She is definitely not fond of other kids, and REALLY not fond of sharing with other kids. If a kid runs up and grabs a ball that Emily was headed for at Little Gym class, she shrieks and stamps her feet and tries to grab the ball. She definitely gets a talking-to from mommy for doing things like that, but I don't know how to break her of it other than putting her in situations where she has to interact and share with other kids more often. At home, at Grammy's, at Nannas, pretty much everywhere she goes she's the one kid in a sea of adults who all play however she wants them to and get her whatever she wants. We certainly don't let her walk all over us, but it's pretty much impossible for adults to teach a kid how to interact with other kids. The drawback of being the only child of a stay at home mom, I guess.

So the only thing I can think to do is to expose her to other kids as often as possible. She does go to gym daycare fairly often, and she has Little Gym and storytime at the library, so I guess we'll just keep doing what we're doing and I'll stay on top of her when she acts selfish. She'll just be the screamy kid no one likes for awhile, but it's not like I can hire kids to come over to my house and teach her to share so we'll just have to teach her in public.

No comments: