Monday, January 2, 2012

2012

Happy 2012!

I thought about making some resolutions, but since my husband's realization that his resolutions always backfire pretty badly, I am a bit nervous to even make one myself!  And I don't really have any complaints about 2011, it was one of the best years for us in recent memory so I'll just hope 2012 is as good and try to focus more on self-improvement but not actually call it a resolution.

Despite the fact that we are old and married with kids, we actually ended up going out and staying up 'till midnight.  I wasn't feeling the greatest, and my voice sounded HORRIBLE after a week of coughing, but we had a babysitter so damnit, we were going out!  We met up with our friends Lauren and Greg  (happy birthday Greg!) and headed down to Market Table Bistro in Lovettsville.  I'm glad Lauren suggested it, because even though we're pretty close to Virginia we almost never go down there except to get to the airport so it was fun to explore a completely new place.  It was a cute little restaurant and with the exception of my pork and Will's rockfish being a bit overcooked for our tastes it was very yummy!

Lauren was kind enough to share her paté with me as well, and oh my goodness was it good!  I learned a couple years ago when we went to St. Martin that I love foie gras and patés (much to my surprise!) but I almost never get to have it because Will does not share the love and it's definitely something you want to split.

After dinner, we headed over to our friend Erin's house where a party was in full swing.
Beer Pong...didn't play it in college, still can't play it now
Discussing Erin's "Muppet" wreath
Absinthe....now with wormwood!
I got a chance to catch up with our buddy Matt who we've known since middle school but I haven't seen in almost a year! 




Just like the old days
We made it to midnight and beyond...I think we ended up heading home at about 1:15, and thanks to my parents taking the girls overnight for us we were able to sleep in until the glorious hour of 10:30.  Despite being hungover I was beginning to recover from my week-long sickness so I actually felt better upon waking than I had for the past couple days.

Our plan was to go over to my parents' house for the traditional dinner of black eyed peas and greens around 3:30, so Will and I were able to continue living the life of a young childless couple.  We walked with Remy to My Organic Market to get some kale and free coffee, made nice healthy breakfasts and lunches, and I got to spend some time catching up on my magazines and marveling at how quiet things are without the kids around.  I also got to finish watching Avatar, which I liked but fell asleep towards the end of the last time I tried to watch it.

After a lazy morning and afternoon we headed over to Gemmy and Dibby's (my parents') house.

The people who made our relaxing New Year possible
 We toasted the New Year...



...and the clouds cleared just in time for a pretty sunset over South Mountain.

It was a nice way to start the new year.  And hopefully this year will stay nice.

No comments: