Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Walkin' around

Today I decided to attempt a quinoa bowl for breakfast again.  Since I am incapable of making quinoa in any amount other than "way too much", I had a bunch leftover from last night.  I don't usually enjoy quinoa for breakfast but that may be because I usually use yogurt in it so today I took Will's advice and used some of the applesauce I had made and it turned out really yummy!
1 cup cooked quinoa, 2 Tbsp coconut milk, 1/2 cup applesauce, 1/4 oz toasted walnuts, 1/2 banana
 I topped my eggs with Tabasco because upon examining my beloved bottle of Valentinas hot sauce I discovered that it contains sodium benzoate (actually it lists sodium benzodate which as far as I know does not exist).  This inspired me to examine my bottle of Sriracha as well.  Potassium sorbate and sodium bisulfite.  Boo.  
plus decaf green and scrambled egg + egg white topped with some nice clean Tabasco
 Poor Charlotte.  On Emily's 2nd birthday I took her to the zoo, but I couldn't really do that today because my mornings are very limited by preschool pick-up and drop-off and my afternoons are very limited because of naptime.  I asked Charlotte what she wanted to do though, and she said "Shopping!  Walkin' around!". So that's what we did.  We hit Common Market for some ingredients to make her cupcakes tonight and her cake on Saturday and I had some of this coffee:

I like free coffee, but I don't like these weird little cardboard cups
As a special bonus we ran into our old realtor from when we bought our house, and she had a little white dog with her who Charlotte had a great time playing with in the Common Market's parking lot gardens while we chatted.

Then we went home to walk around, as requested.

Pleased to be allowed to walk Remy

The Remy

Stomping through the neighbors grass
 Charlotte didn't want to wear gloves despite the fact that it was in the mid-30's outside, but I brought some with me just in case.  At least I thought I did.  We hadn't made it to the end of the block before she told me her hands were cold, so I congratulated myself on my preparedness and dug into my find 1 glove :-(  The other had fallen out at home.  I was also carrying a bag of dog poop and 2 pointy sticks by then since I read that if you want to toast s'mores at the campfire at our resort at Disney you have to buy their pointy sticks.  Eff that, I'm stealing some from my neighbor's tree so I can bring my own.  SO I showed Charlotte how to put her hand in her pocket and we headed home for a pit stop.
That's better
 Now properly be-gloved, we set out again.
My daffodils that survived the squirrels are starting to grow...does this mean they won't bloom in the spring?

Only 4 more months until the pool opens again
 Charlotte continues to amaze me with how talkative and coordinated she is for a (new) 2 year old.  For the last month or so she's been fully daytime potty trained, which I never really believed kids could be before 2 until I saw it happen!  She's still quite clingy though and still loves bottles and her "fuvies" (pacifiers) but we're going to start working on that starting tomorrow.  I didn't want to make her birthday stressful!  She's amazing at swimming, she can walk for miles (really!) and as her motor skills develop she's copying her sister more and more on everything including jumping to skip steps going down the stairs, which worries Mommy.  She's my buddy though, and I'm really enjoying getting to know her better as her personality develops.

 After our walk, we were both hungry for a snack.
Babybel light, KeVita
 Full disclosure...I did not eat THAT particular cheese wheel.  I had to get a different but identical one from the fridge because this happened:

After Emmy retrieval it was lunch time.  I wanted to use up the last bit of brie we had, so I popped it in the salad.  It worked!

Greens, 1 oz brie, 1/2 oz dried cherries, 1/2 oz pumpkin seeds, truffle balsamic and 1 tsp olive oil
 I actually did not end up having an afternoon snack because I didn't get hungry for while, then I did 1 hour of Zumba at home, then I got busy making dinner so a snack never happened despite my light lunch.  I'm telling you, if I can force myself to behave for long enough it really does get MUCH easier!  Until I hit a tiny bump in the road and freak out, that is.  Hoping to keep that from happening this time.

Charlotte was antsy while I was making dinner, so I took a quick break for presents!


Being hovered over by a jealous sister
I did NOT realize the keyboard came with a microphone

Sharing with the jealous sister
 Dinner was Charlotte's favorite, noodles and sauce with meatballs and cheese.  I added additional balls to mine, of the green variety.
1 cup whole wheat rotini, 1/2 cup homemade sauce, 3/4 oz cabot 50% light cheddar, 4 turkey meatballs, 5 brussels sprouts
I also took a sip of this because Will told me to, and I actually enjoyed it!  I'm only moderately surprised, since it's Dogfish.

Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA
 The girls ate a bit of dinner, but were too excited to finish much because they knew what was coming
Trying to blow out the candles

A little help from big sister
 Charlotte kept putting the candles back in, singing to herself, pretending to blow them out and clapping over and over afterward.

 But eventually she ate it.

 The frosting at least...and part of a candle.

Time to go face-first
 I was glad I hadn't had an afternoon snack, because I didn't feel bad about having one of these:
Whole wheat erythritol-sweetened banana bread with about 2 Tbsp neufchatel/erythritol frosting
We topped the evening off with some playtime with the girls but I guess Emily got TOO tired because she's freaking out at hyperventilating now as Will is trying to put her to bed :-(  If anyone has any suggestions about how to get children to #1 be less bossy and #2 willingly clean up their toys, I'm all ears! 

No comments: