Saturday, January 21, 2012

Saturday, snowy Saturday

This morning I was awakened by a snow plow going by at 6ish so I knew before even looking outside that we had indeed gotten the snow they were forecasting.  And as they predicted, it was snow followed by ice which is the worst kind because then it's jagged and treacherous and you can't really play in it :-(

But luckily it was Saturday, so we had a nice warm Saturday breakfast, albeit with a few substitutions because sometimes I forget to have all the ingredients on hand when Saturday rolls around.

Whole wheat bread, 1 Tbsp peanut butter, baked apple slices, rosemary ham, 3/4 oz cabot 50% light cheddar, fried egg and decaf green

Close-up

Snowy backyard
 We had planned to meet Kim at the gym today, but due to the snow and ice there was no daycare offered at the gym.  However there WAS (expensive!) daycare offered at FISC, so we set out for there instead.  My car was encased in a cocoon of ice though, which Will was nice enough to chip through for me as I got the girls ready.

Once we got to FISC and took the girls to the bathroom about 3 times each (they don't offer bathroom service at the FISC daycare apparently) we settled in for our workout.  At the end, we both tried out Ken's new torture device/toy:

Yes, it's a foam roller.  It hurts so good!
It really did hurt but it was super-effective at loosening up sore muscles.

After the gym I sped home (and almost slid into a curb on the ice at one point, eek!) and still arrived a couple minutes after my guests...




My mom and sisters came over so we could all help stamp and stuff Krista's wedding invitations.  I fixed myself a random leftovers salad for lunch:
Greens, artichoke hearts, black rice, salmon, 1 oz feta, 6 jalapeño olives, 1 tsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar
 Once the envelopes were stuffed and everyone headed home I tried to give my coffee smoothie from yesterday another shot.  Will pointed out that almond milk is not as sweet as cow's milk so maybe I needed a bit more stevia.  I also added some xanthan gum to thicken it a bit.
1 cup coffee, 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, 4 drops stevia, handful ice cubes, a pinch of xanthan gum, 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
It was better.  Not fabulous, but better.  I think chocolate protein powder would be a good addition next time.  I don't usually use protein powder because I read somewhere (probably Women's Health) that "protein powder has no place in a weight-loss diet plan", but eh, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Post-smoothie Daddy played hide and seek with the girls, then I oversaw some painting with the new supplies Aunt Kathleen gave Charlotte for her birthday.  It was the cleanest painting session I've ever cleaned up!

I also tossed a bunch of spongy old apples into the crock pot to become applesauce.

About halfway there!
Then I realized it was already 5 and I hadn't started dinner.  45 minutes (and a smoke alarm going off) later, it was ready!

Plain-looking but yummy.  Cuban sandwich: Pork, beef bacon (whoever heard of such a thing?), spicy dill pickles, mustard, sauteéd onions and cabot 50% light cheddar.
So was the "wastebasket sangria" that Will made to go along with it.  He finished up 7 bottles (only some of it was wine/liquor) making this stuff, and it was incredibly sneaky.  After downing two small glasses that tasted just like juice it hit me like a ton of bricks!
My sangria, Will's hand
Glass #2
All through dinner our crazy dog just walked around whining and carrying a piece of leftover sandwich in his mouth.  He likes to stash food, be it in the couch cushions or in holes he digs outside, so whenever Will gives him leftovers he walks around for awhile just worrying about what to do with them.  Weirdo.

Whine whine whine...
I'm so worried
So very, very worried
Help
Oh God
After dinner Emily asked if we could all tap dance, so we put on our shoes and went to town.  All except for Will, who went to the basement to get away from the noise.  I can't say that I blame him.


Dancing with the girls tonight made me realize how much I miss tap.  My ankles have gotten weak!  I might go looking for an adult tap class again...I keep threatening to get back into it and then I never do because it's hard to find a time and a level that agree with me.  Plus I don't necessarily have the urge to don a unitard and perform in a recital or anything like that again so that kinda rules out most dance studios.

To finish out the night I had an orange...


...and we watched No Strings Attached.  Meh.  It was too long and frustrating, I found the humor to be strange and Ashton Kutcher's hair was awful.  I didn't hate it, but it was not remarkable at all.  A good movie to get you ready for bed though, so that is where I'm headed.


No comments: