Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fooding

My friend Lauren has decided to take a picture of everything she eats and post it to her blog each day.  She asked me what I eat in a normal day, and after thinking about it for awhile I decided to do an experiment and take pictures of everything I ate in a day too.  So here it is, my day as a food blogger!

I made a very circular breakfast for myself and the girls, then excused myself to the front room because that's the only room that has natural light in the morning.  I was followed, though.
"What dooin' mommy?"
"Me picture too!"
Still lurking
At this point I also had Emily hanging on my back.  I tilted my camera to cut Charlotte's head out of the shot...
That's better
In the front, a fried egg with salsa
In the back, 1/2 Ezekiel english muffin, 1 Tbsp peanut butter, 1 slice Applegate Organics ham, a couple slices of baked apple and 3/4 oz Cabot 50% light cheddar cheese
 This is our "Saturday Breakfast".  Will and I have had this every Saturday since back before the girls were born.  Will saw the idea in an issue of Men's Health and although it sounded weird to me we tried it and now it is one of my favorite breakfasts!

I was scolded by my oldest daughter for taking my food in the front room, because we are not allowed to take our food in the front room Mommy.

For my snack, I went into the front hall instead, but I was soon discovered.
Here she comes
"Me have some"
"Uh Oh"
Then Charlotte re-arranged everything for me.
1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese, a handful of grapes, 1 tsp wheat germ, the girls' leftover egg whites from breakfast and a Kevita coconut drink
 Then Will gave me the last 3 raspberries leftover after he made fruit salad
Yum.

My snack held me for awhile, then I whipped up a salad for lunch (in the greens container since I was using up the last of them) and followed the sun out onto the back porch.
Greens, radishes, broccoli, broccoli sprouts, bell pepper, 1 oz pumpkin goat cheese, 1/4 oz pecans, smoked salt, peach balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp olive oil
 We were having people over for dinner and I was making pizza which is a decidedly un-simply filling meal (simply filling is the version of Weight Watchers I am currently doing) so when I got hungry again I just had a soda to fill me up
See?
 I thought that picture was a little boring though, so I recruited Will for help.
Much more interesting
At some point I also had some rooibos tea in my favorite mug.
I love that mug because it reminds me that before I became a toddler jungle gym I used to be a real person with a real science job!

Our friends Adam and Julie had a little girl in August and we haven't seen them since their daughter was a newborn, so we invited them over for dinner to catch up.  Since Brad and Matt knew Adam and Julie from college and they also hadn't seen them for a long time we invited them over too and we had a nice little get-together.  My girls were very excited to see the baby.
Look at that adorable red hair!  
Playing pass the baby
The guys, not as interested in passing the baby
Emily and Brad's block tower

Then Will handed me a glass of Flying Dog Imperial Hefeweizen and things got blurry


Dinner time!
Whole wheat veggie pizza on the left, whole wheat caramelized onion/turkey bacon/sun-dried tomato/thyme/goat cheese pizza on the right, and a glass of Radio Boca Tempranillo courtesy of Matt

There was a lot of empty space on my plate, so I filled it with salad (courtesy of Brad and Kim) and forgot to take another picture.  Boo.

Likewise, I forgot to take a picture of my dessert after I added 1/2 Tsp of Wax Orchards fruit-sweetened fudge sauce, but here's the base layer anyway:
Chocolate Covered Katie's Deep Dish Cookie Pie and Vitamix banana soft serve
 Accompanied by a tasting-sized pour of dessert in a glass
Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout
 Then I measured out 2 Tbsp of Cava Mezze Eggplant Roasted Red Pepper Dip, which I found at Common Market and ate with baby carrots and broccoli (not pictured :-( )
Only 15 tasty calories!
Also unpictured are 2 additional cups of tea I sipped while chatting.

So that was my day in food!  As you can see, I quickly got bored of trying to get naturally lit artsy shots and just started snapping.  I don't know how people do it day in and day out!  BUT, I also kind of loved it, because it really made me think about my food before I ate it.  Instead of just munching my egg while I finished preparing everyone's breakfast I waited and plated it and topped it with salsa and then I got the satisfaction of sitting down with a real plate of food and some tea and eating breakfast.  It was impossible to snack on hors d'oeuvres the way I normally do (I would've had to've snapped a picture of each veggie I dipped which would've definitely been distracting to the people trying to talk to me) so I really didn't mindlessly munch like I probably would have otherwise, I actually had to think about it and decide what I really wanted then measure it onto a plate.  I also ended up making most of my meals ahead of time and photographing them before I got hungry, so then it was really nice to just be able to grab my fully prepared salad or whatever when I needed it.

It was kind of a pain, but it also really helped me address some of my eating issues AND it got me through a get-together feeling proud of how I ate instead of like I'd blown it.  I am going to photograph my food today too (since yesterday was kind of an abnormal day for me due to Saturday Breakfast and entertaining in the evening) and see how it goes.  If I keep it up maybe I'll end up becoming the worlds worst food blogger.





No comments: