Monday, January 23, 2012

Epic salad fail

The last thing I ate before bed last night was banana peanut flour ice cream, so I decided to make it a whole recurring theme and have banana peanut flour oatmeal for breakfast this morning.
1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 banana, 2 Tbsp peanut flour

It tasted a bit like those no-bake cookies and I had to keep myself from sprinkling chocolate chips over the top of my oatmeal.  Peanut and chocolate should be together, and once I am in a more maintenance-y phase of weight loss I think I will reunite them in this breakfast.

I was getting the girls all ready to head to school and then the gym this morning (and by "getting ready" I mean arguing that no, you cannot leave the house naked) when Emily's preschool called and said classes were cancelled.  I hung up and called the gym to find that all morning classes were cancelled there too and there was no childcare.  Dang it.  I don't know how much working out I'm going to be able to do while we're gone, I want to stick as close as possible to my routine for as long as possible beforehand!

Since we were stuck at home, I bumped my smoothie up to become my morning snack.

1 cup applesauce, 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt, 12 almonds, ice
 And then the salad happened.

As I've said, I'm trying to use my salads to finish up random things in the fridge, but I think I took this one a little too far.  I blanched some wilted kale and tossed that in there.  I dumped Emily's leftover salad from yesterday in the mix.  I added some recently defrosted lemon lentil salad I made God knows how long ago and stuck in the freezer to promptly forget.

Greens, kale, 6 olives, grated carrot, 1 oz humbolt fog cheese, 1.2 cup lemon lentil salad, smoked salmon, balsamic vinegar

Here were some of the problems with my salad:

-The lemon from the lentil salad was too strong when paired with the vinegar I sprinkled over everything.  Acid overload!
-The salmon in Emily's leftover salad from yesterday tasted fishier than normal which is understandable since it sat in a salad in the fridge all night but it still freaked me out so I picked it out and tossed it.
-Something else in the salad tasted like soap.  I suspect the kale, but not EVERY piece of kale tasted gross. It was like playing Russian roulette every time I took a bite except with salad.

It was so very unpleasant that I made it about this far...

Still too far

...and then threw away the rest.  Blech.

Now usually I have a pretty strong stomach, but the stakes are higher now since I REALLY don't want to be barfing from food poisoning while we're traveling to Florida.  I had started to over-analyze how I was feeling and freak myself out when I opened the fridge and saw a pitcher of our super-strong sangria from the other day.  I poured myself a glass and downed it.

Mama needs her medicine
It was medicinal, I swear.

Then I got a headache.

With my stomach properly disinfected, I finished up my awesome lunch with 2 pears.

Yes, this is the same pear twice but I didn't feel like taking another picture and they looked enough alike.

If you can believe it, my stomach felt weird this afternoon!  So I made it almost all the way to dinner without a snack.  I did give in around 4:30 though.

1 oz Cabot 50% light cheddar
1/3 cup Mama Pea's roasted chickpeas
I made the chickpeas for our trip, but they will totally be gone by the time we leave.

Dinner was the girls' favorite.

Garlic soy chicken drumsticks (skinless for me) and roasted delicata squash on a floating plate

Steamed broccoli, cauliflower and green beans

The girls did not buy it when I told them the squash tasted like cake.

After dinner I suffered a little heartburn.  I blame that on the salad too.

Once I recovered somewhat, we had dessert which was a repeat of last night.

Vitamix banana ice cream with peanut flour and juice-sweetened chocolate sauce
Now I should probably stop reading about trips to Disney World on the internet and actually go pack for mine.  I enjoy the research phase of vacations much more than the actual work of getting ready.  Perhaps I should've been a travel agent.

No comments: